Wednesday, June 2, 2010

rain and receptions

So today was a typical office day, I did a bunch of further research-reading but I really wish I could be here to see all of my research pay off when Jeff goes to use it later this year. Oh, well... To get out of the office, I went to a BBQ/icecream social and ended up running into about 5 or so of my intern friends and I met a few new young staff members/interns, which is always a joy. I've discovered alot about myself since I've been here. Typically, I have always considered myself a shy person but I have also always been all for putting myself out there to make a lasting impression. However, since I've been here it's been a little overwhelming meeting so many powerful people and realizing just how little I know about, well, everything. I am normally one for sharing an opinion openly, but these past few weeks I have dominantly listened and have spoken very little. Noticing this, I have surprised myself, but I have found that when I have attempted to put in a word, it goes unnoticed or unheard; perhaps I'm speaking too softly, or my voice is just easy to overhear when everyone else is speaking at the same time, but this further discourages me from talking as much as I am typically used to. Then again, come to think of it, I prefer one-one-one interventions and perhaps this is why. When you get 4+ of my colleagues together, it seems I'm always all ears, but I had no problem talking to the 3 young staff members that I met today. Still, I have realized that I am more reserved than I have considered myself to be in the past and I am not yet sure how I feel about this discovery...

I got a delicious hamburger at the social (back to my story and away from self-reflection haha) but by the time I finished that lovely lunch, there were no icecream bars left and I saw people take 3 bites out of theirs and then throw them away and it made me sad. :( However, I told myself that I did not need the extra calories anyway, but still, I was sad. I left shortly after four but Tony knocked on my door later to see if I wanted to go to an Islamaphobia reception and, as I am extremely interested in the Middle East, I am all for anything that has to do with Islam and whatnot. So we headed back over to Parliament where we met Priya and Rabecca but it turned out it was not Islamaphobia at all, it was a Parliamentarians of the Year Awards event and so we watched all the MPs pore in while we enjoyed the finger foods. Annie called me however to instruct me where to find the soup kitchen that I had heard her talk about these past weeks. So I got lost trying to find the church and got sopping wet in the process, too! But I finally found it and they fed me dinner and I served drinks and then they fed me dessert and I served that, too. I have never been to a soup kitchen, though I have always wanted to help out at one. This wasn't exactly a soup kitchen, it is called a "coffee house" and I anticipated people in worse conditions, although I did not hear everyone's story and I have no doubt that those people have had it even worse than when I served them this evening. Still, it was not as depressing as I anticipated but was more of a lively event than I imagine the real soup kitchens in Detroit. Annie introduced (or, rather, I introduced myself) to some lovely young people who were also volunteering there and it was a small group so I was heard and it felt nice being heard. If I don't have any plans next Wednesday, I plan on going back but let's not get too ahead of ourselves, Aubrey...

Turns out the church was right down the street from my residence so I had no problem finding my way back and then I played a game of euchre with Sylvia, Jordan, and Amanda after talking to my mom and sister and the day actually turned out to be a warm and friendly day, regardless of the sloppy weather. The carrot cake made my tummy very happy so I easily surrendered my last chocolate chip cookie to Priya.

No comments:

Post a Comment