So my initial thought when I woke up this morning was: "What is that burning smell?"
Answer: "The province of Quebec!"
Indeed, the forest fires have just worsened over the weekend, given that the fires have been deemed too out-of-control to bother trying to put out. The extent of the damage is evident even here in Ottawa, given the burnt smell and what I believed this morning to be horrible smog that turned more into a haze by the end of the day. My heart goes out to all of those Quebecois who have or will have to be evacuated from their houses, but I just have 3 things to be thankful for: 1.) that my residence was not actually on fire this morning when I thought it was; 2.) that there is the Ottawa River dividing us from the province on fire; and 3.) that we had our Quebec City and Montreal trip a week ago!
Both Annie and Kevin had their last days in the office today, and Tara has returned from mat. leave so tomorrow is going to be very different than I'm used to. Nothing big today...I just manned the phones and did some more research...oh! except that I ordered some books from the Parliament Library and one came in before I left! :) Yay, I hope to find 2 more special deliveries when I walk in tomorrow morning; I love packages.
Tomorrow we are going to meet the Auditor General at 2 but I have been looking forward to attending the Little Women of Afghanistan event ever since I first saw an advertisement for it. The event starts at noon so I'm crossing my fingers that everything works out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment